Ex-Taliban commander `shot dead by colleague`
Kabul: A former Taliban commander and two of
his fighters were shot dead by his own bodyguard in northern
Afghanistan, local officials said on Thursday.
Afghan and Western forces allied in the fight against the
decade-long Taliban insurgency have suffered a series of
attacks by their own Afghan colleagues, but the exact
circumstances of the latest incident were unclear.
"One of Commander Zia`s bodyguards killed him and and two
other bodyguards last night," said Abdul Momand Omar Khail,
district chief of Chahar Dara in Kunduz province.
"The killer has escaped, security forces are looking to
capture the killer."
The group were all former members of the Taliban but left
the insurgency last year under a government scheme offering
militants money and jobs, he added.
The motive for the attack was not clear, with Khail saying
it was not known if the killer had gone back to the Taliban,
and personal animosity may have played a role as the commander
had previously been charged with murder.
Provincial spokesman Enayatullah Baleegh confirmed the
Killings of NATO service members by Afghan security
personnel are known as "green-on-blue".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know