Ex-Taliban commander `shot dead by colleague`
Kabul: A former Taliban commander and two of
his fighters were shot dead by his own bodyguard in northern
Afghanistan, local officials said on Thursday.
Afghan and Western forces allied in the fight against the
decade-long Taliban insurgency have suffered a series of
attacks by their own Afghan colleagues, but the exact
circumstances of the latest incident were unclear.
"One of Commander Zia`s bodyguards killed him and and two
other bodyguards last night," said Abdul Momand Omar Khail,
district chief of Chahar Dara in Kunduz province.
"The killer has escaped, security forces are looking to
capture the killer."
The group were all former members of the Taliban but left
the insurgency last year under a government scheme offering
militants money and jobs, he added.
The motive for the attack was not clear, with Khail saying
it was not known if the killer had gone back to the Taliban,
and personal animosity may have played a role as the commander
had previously been charged with murder.
Provincial spokesman Enayatullah Baleegh confirmed the
Killings of NATO service members by Afghan security
personnel are known as "green-on-blue".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- What does Brexit mean for India?
- Solar Impulse 2 makes successful landing in Spain after trans-Atlantic trip!
- Veteran Telegu actor Ramana Murthy dead
- Pakistan court indicts 6 LeJ men in 2009 Sri Lanka team attack case
- Haunting! World renowned pianist performs while floating in Arctic to save environment - Watch video