Ex- top LTTE commander free from Lankan custody
Colombo: Kumaran Pathmanathan alias KP, the last leader of the Tamil Tigers who is wanted in India in connection with the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, has been freed from Sri Lankan military custody.
58-year-old Kumaran Pathmanathan alias KP, was no longer in detention and was free to carry out work for a charity he had formed, said Lakshman Hulugalle, the head of the Defence Ministry`s media centre.
"Practically, there is no detention now," Hulugalle told reporters in Colombo when asked how Pathmanathan, who has an Interpol arrest warrant initiated by India against him, was living in the island`s north.
"He is running a non-government organisation and doing work for the benefit of the people... And he is free to do his work," Hulugalle said. "There is no court case against him."
The official added, "He has every right to operate from that area more so because his NGO is going to get involved in the development of the area.
"It is a major victory for us that someone who had worked against us previously as a leader of the Tamils has now agreed to be a partner in development."
Pathmanathan, who succeeded Velupillai Prabakaran, is wanted by India in connection with the case regarding assassination of Rajiv Gandhi in 1991. He was then LTTE`s chief procurer of weaponry.
He declared himself the leader of the LTTE when it was announced that Prabakaran had been killed in the final battle against the government troops in May 2009.
Sri Lanka had announced the arrest of KP in Malaysia several months in to the end of the conflict and since then he had spent time under government custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened