Ex-US President Carter meets Nepal leader Regmi
Kathmandu: Former US president Jimmy Carter today met the Chairman of Nepal`s interim election government, Khil Raj Regmi and inquired about the preparations being made for the forthcoming Constituent Assembly elections and the ongoing peace process.
On the occasion, Regmi briefed Carter about the preparations for the elections, challenges facing the government, efforts to hold dialogue with disgruntled fringe parties and security arrangements for the elections, according to his press advisor.
During the meeting, Regmi said that the government will continue holding talks with agitating political parties at the centre as well as step up security measures at local level for preparing ground for the upcoming elections.
Carter said that his NGO, the Carter Centre was interested in extending cooperation to the elections and sending its observers during the polls.
Carter also inquired about adequate participation of women, Dalits and other marginalised communities during the elections.
Regmi said that the government will take positively the interest shown by the Carter Centre in taking part in the election process.
He also informed that the government is implementing its decision to form a Truth and Reconciliation Commission as part of the transitional justice mechanism at the earliest.
Carter arrived in Kathmandu yesterday to learn about the latest political situation and to get first hand information about the preparations relating to the elections.
Carter will meet top leaders of major political parties and top government officials during his brief visit to Nepal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi