Extremists in Pak warn drivers attached with girls` schools
Peshawar: Extremists in Pakistan`s
northwestern Peshawar city have warned drivers of girls` schools of dire consequences if they do not stop taking students to schools in two days` time.
The extremists, in a letter distributed among employees
of Begum Shahabuddin High Secondary School, Government Girls
High School, Frontier Women`s College and several other
institutions, said the drivers would be responsible for
whatever happened to them if they did not comply with the
The letter also warned the drivers not to allow any girl
to sit on the front seat and ensure that the windows of their
vehicles are not tinted. It said the two-day deadline would
end on Sunday.
The threat caused panic among the drivers, who have
sought security from the government.
The latest threat to employees of girls schools` has come
after a lull of about eight months, reflecting an upsurge in
activities of Taliban fighters in the urban areas of
The increasing subversive activities of militants in
urban areas is putting pressure on parents to stop sending
their children to school.
The parents had faced a similar situation a year ago.
Thousands of drivers take girls to and from schools and
colleges in Peshawar every day.
The Taliban have been opposing girls` education for the
past few years, describing it as un-Islamic.
The militants have destroyed hundreds of girls` schools
across Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa and the adjoining tribal belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'