‘F-16s will help Pak lose war against India slower’
Washington: Even while the United States has offered huge military and non-military aid to Pakistan, including the much sought after F-16 combat jets, American officials believe that Washington is careful enough to not to disturb the balance of power in South Asia.
Pentagon officials told The Los Angeles Times that the US is aware of its responsibilities, and that providing the F-16s to Pakistan does not mean that it gets an advantage over India’s might.
“Another squadron of F-16s means they [Pakistan] will lose the next war with India a little slower,” the newspaper quoted a Pentagon official, as saying on conditions of anonymity.
“They are not going to defeat India because we gave them a squadron of F-16s. The military overmatch India enjoys is just too great,” he said.
Washington is sensitive to the risk of dramatically increasing one country’s military prowess vis-à-vis the other, which would potentially trigger the very war the US wants to avoid, the newspaper said.
The US officials said America’s growing ties would India would help both countries gel better and enhance support for each other.
“The technology and logistic agreements that go along with an expanded defence trade will bind the US and India closer together,” they opined.
Similarly, they believed that providing modern weapons to Pakistan, even those not specifically intended for anti-extremism operations, was crucial to the Obama administration’s prime objective of toning down the massive distrust that prevails between the two countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview