Failed SL asylum seekers deported from UK
Colombo: A group of 28 Sri Lankans, most of them Tamils, have been deported back to the country after failing in their bid to seek asylum in Britain.
The failed asylum seekers included 14 Tamils, 9 Sinhalese and 5 Muslims.
A special charter flight landed at the Colombo international airport this morning accompanied by UK Border Agency officials, airport officials said.
A similar group of 23 deportees had arrived on September 20.
Officials said the total number of the group was to be over 60. But last minute legal proceedings on behalf of the deportees had prevented several of them from being sent back.
Sri Lanka has denied claims of New York-based Human Rights Watch that previous returnees had been harassed.
However, the returnees are quizzed by the police at the airport.
The failed asylum seekers are sent back because the situation in Sri Lanka has improved much since the end of the military campaign against the LTTE, British authorities maintain.
Tens of thousands of Tamils fled Sri Lanka after the outbreak of communal violence in July 1983.
They now constitute the formidable Tamil diaspora and are a key to achieving a lasting solution to the ethnic impasse in the island.
The country is dominated by the Sinhala Buddhist majority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’