Fake Army general arrested in Pakistan
Islamabad: It seems that being an Army man in Pakistan can open up various doors for you. Pakistani police have arrested a man who pretended to be an Army lieutenant general and called up government ministers and politicians and fooled them into doing him favours.
Maqsood Shah, an administrator at a hospital in the southern port city of Karachi, was nabbed within Malir Cantonment after he walked in wearing the uniform of a lieutenant general, Superintendent of Police Ghulam Subhani of
the Anti-Violent Crime Cell told a news conference.
"He didn`t spare anyone. He called up provincial ministers, MQM leaders and Local Government Minister Agha Siraj Durrani, claiming that he was a general and that he should be obliged," Subhani was quoted as saying by The Express Tribune.
"Shah called up Durrani, saying he was a Gen Imtiaz. Then we went on to pressure the Local Government Minister on selling land adjacent to the hospital at a discounted price," Subhani said.
Shah even claimed he would soon be made Commander of the 5 Corps Headquarters in Karachi.
Police seized an AK-47 assault rifle, a BlackBerry and a car from Shah`s possession.
Using the name of Gen Imtiaz, Shah forced an income tax officer to refund Rs 180,000 that the hospital had paid. He even pretended to be a general and expressed grief at the recent death of political and spiritual leader Pir Pagara.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- More typhoons expected in China next month
- Raghuram Rajan, Arvind Subramanian 'foisted' on India by Americans: Swamy
- Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy terms burkini as 'provocation' that supports radical Islam
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!