Female polio workers shot dead in Karachi
Karachi: In a shocking attack, five females working as a part of polio vaccination campaign I were on Tuesday shot dead in Pakistan`s largest city, Karachi.
The gunmen also wounded two men who were with the women, said a minister of Sindh province.
The attacks took place in three separate locations in the city, the BBC reported.
The attacks come at a time when Karachi witnessed a three-day Unicef campaign against polio.
Approximately 5.2m polio drops were to be administered to Pakistani kids duing the campaign, which has now been halted in wake of the attacks.
Though no group has come forward to claim the responsibility of the attacks, Taliban’s role is being suspected as it has in past issued threats against polio vaccination.
The attacks took place in area with dense population of Pashtuns where Taliban is said to be active.
The Taliban are a Pashtun movement, and many militants are reported to be hiding in these communities in Karachi.
Earlier on Monday, a gunman had killed a volunteer for the World Health Organization`s anti-polio campaign in Karachi.
The Taliban have spoken out against polio vaccination in recent months, claiming the health workers are acting as spies for the US and the vaccine itself causes harm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof