`Female suicide bomber kills four in NW Pakistan`
Khar: A female suicide bomber blew herself up outside a hospital in a lawless tribal area of northwest Pakistan Saturday and killed at least four people and wounded four others, officials said.
The attack took place in Khar, the main town of Bajaur tribal district bordering Afghanistan where the military has carried out several offensives against Al-Qaeda-linked Taliban militants.
"At least four people were killed and four others were wounded in the blast outside the main gate of the hospital," Mohammad Riaz, chief doctor at the government hospital, told a news agency.
Local administration official Abdul Haseeb confirmed that it was a female suicide bomber and the casualties.
"It was a female suicide bomber, about 18-20 years old, we have found her legs and head," he said.
The dead included a security personnel, a hospital worker and two civilians, he added.
Bajaur is one of seven districts that make up Pakistan`s Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). The semi-autonomous region of mountains, valleys and caves is one of the most deprived and ill-educated in the country.
It has been a stronghold for Afghan Taliban, al Qaeda and other Pakistani militant groups, and a battleground between the army and insurgents.
Pakistan has lost more than 3,000 soldiers in the fight against homegrown insurgents but has resisted US pressure to do more to eliminate havens used by those fighting the Americans in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH