Ferry capsize kills 14 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least 14 people have died and five were still missing after a passenger ferry sank in giant Meghna River in central Bangladesh`s suburban Manikganj, with authorities retrieving 12 bodies overnight.
"We called off the rescue operations after 12 more bodies trapped inside the sunken vessel as it was retrieved from the water," Deputy Commissioner of Munshiganj, Mohammad Saiful Hassan Badal said.
He, however, said at least five bodies were still missing since the MV Sarosh capsized after a collision with a sand laden barge at Gazaria area of Munshiganj yesterday morning in the Meghna, one of the biggest rivers in riverine Bangladesh.
A journalist who witnessed the rescue campaign said six of the dead were children, aged between one and half years and 10 while two of them were retrieved soon after the sinking yesterday.
The ferry was carrying an estimated 100 passengers on board but officials said the exact number of people aboard was uncertain as travellers in most routes buy tickets inboard while the vessel was carrying passengers from the capital Dhaka to the southeastern district Chandpur.
Hundreds of distraught relatives gathered on both sides of the river, anxiously waiting to know the fate of their loved ones while one of the survivors said the missing people included an extended family of 17 who were going to join a relative`s funeral.
Television footages earlier showed a 12-year-old boy Omar Faruk said he could not find his mother.
Unregulated and overcrowded ferries often run in to trouble on riverine Bangladesh, criss-crossed by nearly 300 rivers but most such accidents take place during the monsoon period due to storms or roughness of inflated rivers.
Officials said nearly 90 of the country`s thousands of small and medium-sized boats lacked safety standards despite government vows to crack down on unlicensed operators or unfit vessels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Ricardo Quaresma heads Portugal into Euro 2016 quarters
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?