Ferry with 100 aboard capsizes in Bangladesh
Dhaka: A ferry carrying about 100 people capsized after colliding with a sand-laden boat on Bangladesh`s giant Meghna river on Friday, leaving scores of people missing, officials said.
`MV SM Sarash` sank in the Meghna river this morning after a sand-laden boat hit it, Badiuzzaman Badal, the president of the Bangladesh Inland Water Transport and Passenger Service in Narayanganj, was quoted by local media as saying.
The ferry, carrying around 100 passengers, was on its way to Chandpur from Narayanganj when the accident took place, he said.
"Twenty passengers on board could swim ashore. Others were missing. Immediate rescue campaign was ordered," a police official said.
Meanwhile, the Inland Water Transport Authority (IWTA) sent a vessel called Rustom to the scene to carry out rescue efforts. Local fishermen also joined the salvage efforts.
Ferry accidents are frequent in Bangladesh.
In March, 2011, 147 people were killed when a passenger vessel sank in the Meghna river after colliding with a cargo ship.
In December, 2009, 46 people drowned in Daira river in northeastern district of Kishorganj after a ferry capsized and sank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Bombay HC allows women to enter inner sanctum of Haji Ali Dargah; activists hail 'momentous' verdict
- Pakistan's Sami Aslam reveals why he always recalls these words from Sachin Tendulkar's retirement speech
- Subramanian Swamy fires fresh salvo at Raghuram Rajan, claims he has no degree in economics
- Dwayne Bravo all set to make singing debut in Bollywood! - Details inside
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today