Fidayeen attack kills 17 Pak security personnel
Islamabad: At least 17 Pakistani soldiers were killed when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden water tanker into a check post in the restive North Waziristan tribal region of the country.
Six security personnel were killed instantly when the attacker last night rammed the tanker into Esha check post near Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency.
Eleven other personnel died later, a military spokesman said today. "In last night`s attack on a security forces` checkpost in North Waziristan, 17 security forces personnel embraced shahadat (martyrdom)," the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said today.
Over a dozen security personnel were also injured, officials said earlier. The sudden increase in the death toll from six to 11 came after many of the dead bodies were found trapped under the rubble following the blast, security officials explained.
Troops cordoned off the area after the attack and launched a search operation. Authorities imposed a curfew in the region.
No group claimed responsibility for the suicide attack. North Waziristan along the Afghan border is considered a safe haven for Taliban and Al Qaeda elements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune