Fidayeen attack kills 17 Pak security personnel
Islamabad: At least 17 Pakistani soldiers were killed when a suicide bomber rammed an explosives-laden water tanker into a check post in the restive North Waziristan tribal region of the country.
Six security personnel were killed instantly when the attacker last night rammed the tanker into Esha check post near Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan Agency.
Eleven other personnel died later, a military spokesman said today. "In last night`s attack on a security forces` checkpost in North Waziristan, 17 security forces personnel embraced shahadat (martyrdom)," the Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said today.
Over a dozen security personnel were also injured, officials said earlier. The sudden increase in the death toll from six to 11 came after many of the dead bodies were found trapped under the rubble following the blast, security officials explained.
Troops cordoned off the area after the attack and launched a search operation. Authorities imposed a curfew in the region.
No group claimed responsibility for the suicide attack. North Waziristan along the Afghan border is considered a safe haven for Taliban and Al Qaeda elements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites