Fighting breaks out in southern Afghan city
Kandahar: A security official says a gunbattle has broken out between militants wearing suicide vests and security forces in a major city in southern Afghanistan.
An official with the counterterrorism department says security forces have trapped five militants on top of a building that is under construction in Lashkar Gah, capital of Helmand province.
Almas, who like many Afghans goes by one name, says two people have been killed, including one of the attackers and a civilian who was passing by when Friday`s fighting began.
But deputy provincial police chief Kamal Uddin says there were no casualties.
The conflicting reports could not immediately be reconciled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok