First day at UK school `most important day` of life: Malala Yousufzai
London: Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head by the Taliban for campaigning for girls` rights to education, has attended her first day at school in the UK.
The 15-year-old activist was shot on a school bus in Pakistan in October last year, following which she was flown to Birmingham`s Queen Elizabeth Hospital for specialist treatment. She has now recovered following the treatment.
Malala described starting at the city`s Edgbaston High School for Girls as "the most important day" of her life. She said it was her happiest moment as she was fulfilling her dream of going back to school. Malala also said that she felt proud to wear the uniform because it proves that she is a student, who is living her life and learning, reports the BBC.
Malala, who is in year nine and will start her GCSE curriculum next year, said she was looking forward to learning about politics and law.
Headmistress Dr Ruth Weekes said she believed Malala needed the stability of being at school.
Malala is staying in the UK after her father Ziauddin Yousafzai was appointed education attache at the Pakistan consulate in Birmingham.
Malala has had a titanium plate and cochlear implant fitted and was discharged from the hospital in February to continue her rehabilitation.
She has received support from around the world, with tens of thousands of people signing an online petition calling for her to be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!