Five aid workers kidnapped in Afghanistan
London: Two Western female doctors and their three Afghan colleagues have been kidnapped in northeast Afghanistan, it was reported here on Thursday.
They were abducted while travelling on horseback between Yaftal and Ragh districts, about 80 km from Badakhshan provincial capital Faizabad, a newspaper reported.
The doctors and their colleagues, believed to be a guide and two interpreters, were employed by an NGO, the Swiss-based Medair, and had been working to help to treat malnourished children.
Abdul Maroof Rasikh, spokesman for Badakhshan province`s governor, said it was unclear who kidnapped them. A massive search operation involving police, military and volunteers was underway, he said.
NATO-led forces said they had no information on the kidnapping, while NGOs operating in the area declined to comment citing the sensitivity of the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday