Five children among 27 killed in Pakistan accident
Islamabad: At least 27 people, including five women and two children, were killed and 20 others injured when a passenger van hit a trailer in Pakistan`s south Sukkur district Sunday, media reports said.
The accident took place near Pano Akil town of the Sukkur, a district in the country`s south Sindh province, when the van ran head-on into the trailer, reported Xinhua.
The van was completely destroyed and compressed in the attack, trapping the injured people inside.
Rescue workers broke windows and had to cut the van to bring the injured people out.
Faisal Abdullah of Superintendent Motorway Police said that the accident happened due to negligence of the bus driver who hit into the trailer while trying to overtake it from the wrong side.
Pakistan is among the countries having worst record of fatal traffic accidents, mainly due to poor roads, lack of driving skills, badly maintained vehicles and violation of road safety rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Congress demands Sushma Swaraj's resignation over Lalit Modi's job offer to her husband
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident