Five held in Taseer kidnapping case in Pakistan
Islamabad: Five people have been detained in Lahore in connection with the abduction of Shahbaz Taseer, the son of late Punjab province governor Salman Taseer, police said.
Shahbaz Taseer was abducted from Lahore`s Gulberg area Friday. He was travelling with a friend when four armed men abducted them at gunpoint. His friend, who was later released, told the police about the kidnapping.
Shahbaz`s father Salman Taseer was shot dead in January by one of his security guards, Mumtaz Qadri, because of Taseer`s opposition to Pakistan`s blasphemy law and his defence of a Christian woman sentenced to death on charges of blasphemy.
The five people were detained Saturday after getting cell phone data of Shahbaz Taseer, Dawn News reported.
Sources said that after tracing the latest calls from Taseer`s phone, police detained three people. Intelligence agency officials later picked two others. All five have been taken to an unidentified location.
One of the arrested men had communicated with Taseer when he was leaving his residence Friday morning, the sources said.
All five men knew Taseer very well and were aware that at the time of his departure from home he was leaving without police escort.
From statements obtained from family members and friends of Taseer, it is strongly suspected that the kidnapping was part of a business-related dispute, they said.
The family was yet to be contacted by the kidnappers.
President Asif Ali Zardari and Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani have assured the family of Taseer that he would be rescued soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range