Five killed in Kabul Taliban attack
Kabul: Five people were killed in a car bomb attack on a district police station and ensuing gunfight between Taliban militants and policemen in a suburban area of Afghanistan`s capital Kabul Friday morning, police said.
"Three of the station policemen were injured and a bystander police officer of the interior ministry who was waiting for the vehicle near the compound was martyred as a result of the powerful car bombing," Xinhua quoted Kabul police chief Mohammad Zahir as telling the media.
The attack took place around 6.15 a.m. in Surobi district of the Kabul province.
Three militants were killed by the security forces during the gun battle lasting for more than an hour while one attacker was killed in the blast nearly 50 km east of Kabul, the police chief added.
The Taliban insurgent group claimed responsibility for the attack shortly after the incident.
The war-torn country is due to take over the responsibility for its own security from foreign troops by the end of the year.
Over 57,000 NATO-led foreign troops, down from the peak of 130,000 in 2010, are currently deployed in Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof