Five killed in Karachi blast
Karachi: Five persons were killed and 15 more injured when a car bomb went off near an election office of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement in Karachi on Thursday, the second time the party has been targeted in a terrorist attack in the southern Pakistani city since Tuesday.
The blast occurred near MQM`s office in the densely populated North Nazimabad area of Karachi at about 9.30 am.
All five persons killed were MQM workers, leaders of the party said. Three of the dead were brothers, MQM leaders and local residents said.
The 15 injured people were taken to a nearby hospital.
The bomb was hidden in a car with government number plates.
"The car had a government number plate and was parked close to the MQM election office in in Nusrat Bhutto colony of North Nazimabad," said DIG Zafar Bukhari.
It could not immediately be ascertained if the registration number was genuine. The powerful blast damaged several nearby buildings and cars in the residential area.
Security personnel cordoned off the area while a bomb disposal squad swept the site of the blast.
A spokesman for the banned Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the blast in phone calls made to TV news channels.
TTP had issued a threat few weeks ago, declaring it would target leaders and election rallies of secular parties like the MQM, Pakistan People`s Party and Awami National Party.
People today protested after the attack and pelted stones at police vehicles.
The channels reported that the Taliban have a sizeable presence in the area where the bombing occurred.
On Tuesday, a bomb exploded near another election office of the MQM in Karachi killing four persons and injuring 20.
Earlier this month, a MQM candidate in the upcoming general election was gunned down by Taliban fighters in Hyderabad, Pakistan`s second largest city.
There have also been a string of bombings targeting the PPP and ANP in the country`s restive northwest.
Caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso, who was in Karachi for an official visit, condemned the blast near the MQM office.
Khoso was "personally monitoring the situation and is in constant touch with the concerned authorities," said a statement issued by his office.
Khoso reiterated the resolve of his government to do "what it takes to maintain law and order and peace in the country so that elections could be held in a conducive environment."
President Asif Ali Zardari too strongly condemned the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015