Five militants killed in US drone attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone on Thursday targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan, killing five suspected militants.
The attack occurred in Heso Khel village near Mir Ali, one of the main towns in North Waziristan Agency, security officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The US and Afghan officials describe the region as a safe haven for Taliban and al Qaeda elements.
The compound was destroyed, the officials said.
Reports said four missiles were fired at the compound. The identity of those killed could not immediately be ascertained.
Nearly 40 militants have been killed in five drone strikes in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
The US has continued with its drone campaign despite Pakistan describing the attacks as counter-productive and a violation of its sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- India's 1-run loss to West Indies: Twitter world, especially KING VIRU go crazy
- China's top 500 firms report first revenue decline in 15 years
- ONGC hires consultant to assess reserves in GSPC KG gas block
- OMG! Young girl borrows phone from unknown people to send 'mujra' ladies for clients - WATCH what happens next
- PM Narendra Modi brings water to parched Saurashtra region in Gujarat