Five militants killed in US drone attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone on Thursday targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan, killing five suspected militants.
The attack occurred in Heso Khel village near Mir Ali, one of the main towns in North Waziristan Agency, security officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The US and Afghan officials describe the region as a safe haven for Taliban and al Qaeda elements.
The compound was destroyed, the officials said.
Reports said four missiles were fired at the compound. The identity of those killed could not immediately be ascertained.
Nearly 40 militants have been killed in five drone strikes in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
The US has continued with its drone campaign despite Pakistan describing the attacks as counter-productive and a violation of its sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!
- NASA completes series of engine tests for next big rocket