Five militants killed in US drone attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone on Thursday targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan, killing five suspected militants.
The attack occurred in Heso Khel village near Mir Ali, one of the main towns in North Waziristan Agency, security officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The US and Afghan officials describe the region as a safe haven for Taliban and al Qaeda elements.
The compound was destroyed, the officials said.
Reports said four missiles were fired at the compound. The identity of those killed could not immediately be ascertained.
Nearly 40 militants have been killed in five drone strikes in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
The US has continued with its drone campaign despite Pakistan describing the attacks as counter-productive and a violation of its sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre