Five militants killed in US drone attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone on Thursday targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan, killing five suspected militants.
The attack occurred in Heso Khel village near Mir Ali, one of the main towns in North Waziristan Agency, security officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The US and Afghan officials describe the region as a safe haven for Taliban and al Qaeda elements.
The compound was destroyed, the officials said.
Reports said four missiles were fired at the compound. The identity of those killed could not immediately be ascertained.
Nearly 40 militants have been killed in five drone strikes in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
The US has continued with its drone campaign despite Pakistan describing the attacks as counter-productive and a violation of its sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees