Five militants killed in US drone attack in Pakistan
Islamabad: A US drone on Thursday targeted a compound in the lawless North Waziristan tribal region of Pakistan, killing five suspected militants.
The attack occurred in Heso Khel village near Mir Ali, one of the main towns in North Waziristan Agency, security officials were quoted as saying by TV news channels.
The US and Afghan officials describe the region as a safe haven for Taliban and al Qaeda elements.
The compound was destroyed, the officials said.
Reports said four missiles were fired at the compound. The identity of those killed could not immediately be ascertained.
Nearly 40 militants have been killed in five drone strikes in the tribal belt bordering Afghanistan since the beginning of the year.
The US has continued with its drone campaign despite Pakistan describing the attacks as counter-productive and a violation of its sovereignty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'