Five Pakistani Taliban held for attack on ISI headquarters
Lahore: Five militants with links to the
banned Pakistani Taliban have been arrested for alleged
involvement in last year`s suicide attack on the headquarters
of the powerful spy agency ISI, police said on Friday.
Lahore police chief Aslam Tareen said the five men
Sarfaraz Ahmed, Asghar Ali, Hafiz Mahmood, Shabbir Ahmed and
Muhammad Hayat are members of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan
and Al Tauheed Al-Jihad.
The mastermind of the attack, Doctor Moaz alias Umar
Kundi, was killed in a shootout with police in Faisalabad,
Tareen told a news conference.
The five militants were arrested in Shahdara area of
Punjab`s provincial capital.
Kundi had provided the five men training in Datta Khel
area of Waziristan tribal region, a known hub of Taliban and
al Qaeda elements.
Kundi also provided the men an explosives-laden
vehicle that was acquired from Hangu in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
province, Tareen said.
Three of the arrested militants participated in last
year`s attack while the other two conducted surveillance of
the target before the assault, Tareen said.
The militants were also involved in several incidents
of kidnapping for ransom to raise funds for terrorist
activities, he said.
Eight rocket launchers, four suicide vests,
Kalashnikov assault rifles, 33 grenades, pistols and
ammunition were seized from the arrested men.
Thirty-five people, seven of them Inter-Services
Intelligence (ISI) officials, were killed and over 200 injured
when a group of heavily armed militants stormed the spy
agency`s provincial headquarters and detonated an
explosives-laden van outside the building on May 27 last year.
The blast devastated the nearby office of a state-run
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!