Five Pakistani Taliban held for attack on ISI headquarters
Lahore: Five militants with links to the
banned Pakistani Taliban have been arrested for alleged
involvement in last year`s suicide attack on the headquarters
of the powerful spy agency ISI, police said on Friday.
Lahore police chief Aslam Tareen said the five men
Sarfaraz Ahmed, Asghar Ali, Hafiz Mahmood, Shabbir Ahmed and
Muhammad Hayat are members of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan
and Al Tauheed Al-Jihad.
The mastermind of the attack, Doctor Moaz alias Umar
Kundi, was killed in a shootout with police in Faisalabad,
Tareen told a news conference.
The five militants were arrested in Shahdara area of
Punjab`s provincial capital.
Kundi had provided the five men training in Datta Khel
area of Waziristan tribal region, a known hub of Taliban and
al Qaeda elements.
Kundi also provided the men an explosives-laden
vehicle that was acquired from Hangu in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa
province, Tareen said.
Three of the arrested militants participated in last
year`s attack while the other two conducted surveillance of
the target before the assault, Tareen said.
The militants were also involved in several incidents
of kidnapping for ransom to raise funds for terrorist
activities, he said.
Eight rocket launchers, four suicide vests,
Kalashnikov assault rifles, 33 grenades, pistols and
ammunition were seized from the arrested men.
Thirty-five people, seven of them Inter-Services
Intelligence (ISI) officials, were killed and over 200 injured
when a group of heavily armed militants stormed the spy
agency`s provincial headquarters and detonated an
explosives-laden van outside the building on May 27 last year.
The blast devastated the nearby office of a state-run
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Tax dept asks officers to suggest changes in direct tax laws
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets