Five rockets hit Afghan capital, 1 near US Embassy
Kabul: At least five rockets slammed
into Kabul at daybreak on Tuesday, one of them falling near the US
Embassy in a rare attack on the Afghan capital fewer than
three weeks before presidential elections, police and
The explosions, heard by reporters, occurred to the
east of the city, toward the international airport and near
several residential areas.
The impact of one of the rockets could be seen about
200 metres from the US Embassy on a main road in central
Kabul. It hit the house of a senior Interior Ministry official
but caused no casualties, security officers said.
At the scene, Maj Ghulam Rasul of the Afghan national
Army said that he believed the rockets were of the long-range BM1
type, which can be fired from portable rocket launchers
positioned on the ground several miles from their target. "The
capital is closely guarded. They had to fire from far away,"
Col Fatih Uddin, the security chief at the damaged
Interior Ministry house, estimated the building probably
wasn`t the main target of the attack. "Of course, it seems
that the target was more the American Embassy," Uddin said.
The US Embassy strongly questioned whether this was
"There`s no indication these rockets were targeting
any particular site in Kabul," embassy spokeswoman Fleur Cowan
said. She said the embassy had not implemented any special
security measures today beyond its usual response in cases of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical