Five rockets hit Afghan capital, 1 near US Embassy
Kabul: At least five rockets slammed
into Kabul at daybreak on Tuesday, one of them falling near the US
Embassy in a rare attack on the Afghan capital fewer than
three weeks before presidential elections, police and
The explosions, heard by reporters, occurred to the
east of the city, toward the international airport and near
several residential areas.
The impact of one of the rockets could be seen about
200 metres from the US Embassy on a main road in central
Kabul. It hit the house of a senior Interior Ministry official
but caused no casualties, security officers said.
At the scene, Maj Ghulam Rasul of the Afghan national
Army said that he believed the rockets were of the long-range BM1
type, which can be fired from portable rocket launchers
positioned on the ground several miles from their target. "The
capital is closely guarded. They had to fire from far away,"
Col Fatih Uddin, the security chief at the damaged
Interior Ministry house, estimated the building probably
wasn`t the main target of the attack. "Of course, it seems
that the target was more the American Embassy," Uddin said.
The US Embassy strongly questioned whether this was
"There`s no indication these rockets were targeting
any particular site in Kabul," embassy spokeswoman Fleur Cowan
said. She said the embassy had not implemented any special
security measures today beyond its usual response in cases of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'