Five top Taliban commanders killed in recent drone strikes
Islamabad: Five top Taliban commanders were among several militants killed in recent US drone strikes carried out in Pakistan`s lawless Waziristan tribal region.
The US has stepped up drone attacks in Waziristan since
the December 30 suicide attack on a forward operating base in
neighbouring Khost province of Afghanistan that killed seven
Taliban commanders Shahidullah, Hafiz Nizamuddin
Storikhel, Khwarey and Mohtaj were among 20 militants killed
in a drone strike in Shaktoi area on Sunday, officials were
quoted as saying by Dawn News channel.
Azmatullah Mawiya, a key commander of the Punjab chapter
of the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, was killed in a drone strike
in the same region on January 15.
The Shaktoi area, which straddles North and South
Waziristan, has been repeatedly targeted by US drones over the
past few days.
Soon after the attack on the US base in Khost, the
Pakistani Taliban had released a video showing the bomber with
their chief Hakimullah Mehsud.
The bomber said the attack was carried out to avenge the
death of slain Pakistani Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud, who
was killed in a drone attack in August last year.
The recent drone strikes in Hakimullah`s stronghold had
sparked speculation that the Pakistan Taliban chief was dead.
He, however, released an audio to media persons saying he was
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened