Flash floods sweep away three in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Flash floods triggered by heavy rains in parts of northwest Pakistan on Wednesday swept away three persons and dozens of animals even as authorities called for preventive measures to avoid further losses due to floods in the next 48 hours.
Three persons and several heads of livestock were swept away by flash floods at Nowshera in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province following heavy rains since 5 am.
The bodies of two persons were found during the day.
Drains overflowed at several places and water entered homes.
The flooding damaged property and washed away electricity poles, disrupting power supply at several places.
Footage on television showed tracts of agricultural land were flooded.
The meteorological department issued a flash flood warning for Kohat and Mardan area and predicted more rains in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Strong monsoon currents are penetrating upper parts of Pakistan under the influence of a seasonal low over Balochistan and its adjoining areas, it said.
The Federal Flood Commission warned that preventive measures would have to be taken to avoid losses as flash flooding is expected in various areas during the next 48 hours.
A statement issued by the FFC said medium to high flash flooding is expected in the Kabul, Kurram, Gambila and Swat rivers and their tributaries due to rains in the northwest.
National Disaster Management Authority Chairman Zafar Iqbal Qadir directed provincial disaster management authorities to be ready to cope with any eventuality.
Minister for Climate Change Rana Farooq Saeed directed authorities to keep a close vigil at vulnerable points of rivers.
Kakul in Abbottabad received the maximum rainfall with 84 mm, followed by Murree (75mm) and Islamabad (55 mm), officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad