Flash floods sweep away three in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Flash floods triggered by heavy rains in parts of northwest Pakistan on Wednesday swept away three persons and dozens of animals even as authorities called for preventive measures to avoid further losses due to floods in the next 48 hours.
Three persons and several heads of livestock were swept away by flash floods at Nowshera in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province following heavy rains since 5 am.
The bodies of two persons were found during the day.
Drains overflowed at several places and water entered homes.
The flooding damaged property and washed away electricity poles, disrupting power supply at several places.
Footage on television showed tracts of agricultural land were flooded.
The meteorological department issued a flash flood warning for Kohat and Mardan area and predicted more rains in Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Strong monsoon currents are penetrating upper parts of Pakistan under the influence of a seasonal low over Balochistan and its adjoining areas, it said.
The Federal Flood Commission warned that preventive measures would have to be taken to avoid losses as flash flooding is expected in various areas during the next 48 hours.
A statement issued by the FFC said medium to high flash flooding is expected in the Kabul, Kurram, Gambila and Swat rivers and their tributaries due to rains in the northwest.
National Disaster Management Authority Chairman Zafar Iqbal Qadir directed provincial disaster management authorities to be ready to cope with any eventuality.
Minister for Climate Change Rana Farooq Saeed directed authorities to keep a close vigil at vulnerable points of rivers.
Kakul in Abbottabad received the maximum rainfall with 84 mm, followed by Murree (75mm) and Islamabad (55 mm), officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi