Flood water inundates 35 villages in Pakistan
Lahore: At least 35 villages of two districts in Pakistan`s Punjab province have been inundated by flood waters following heavy rains, officials said on Sunday.
The villages in Pasrur and Sialkot districts, 80 km from the provincial capital of Lahore, are under four feet of water.
The floods damaged standing crops on hundreds of acres, the officials said.
Some residents of the villages moved to safe places with their cattle and belongings.
There were no reports of casualties so far, officials said.
Traffic in Pasrur three main roads the Sialkot-Pasrur road, Daska-Pasrur road and Pasrur-Zafarwal-Narowal road was suspended yesterday after they were covered by three to four feet of flood waters.
There is an acute shortage of food and potable water for people and fodder for cattle in the flood-hit villages.
The state-run Rescue 1122 service has launched relief activities and begun shifting people to safer places.
The local Met Office has forecast more heavy rains in the Sialkot region and officials said this might worsen the situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note