Floods, landslides kill 130 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: About 130 people died in floods and landslides triggered by monsoon rains in the past three weeks in Bangladesh, the government said on Thursday.
In the hill districts of Chittagong, Cox`s Bazaar and Bandarban, at least 120 people died in the last week of June, Xinhua reported.
Nine more died so far this month, said S.M. Golam Kibria, spokesman for the disaster ministry, quoting an official report.
One million families in about a dozen districts have been affected.
The incessant rains inundated many areas and disrupted communications.
Kibria, however, said the situation is unlikely to get worse as the water levels in the major rivers are falling.
Water-borne diseases like diarrhoea are spreading in the flood-hit areas, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself