Floods, landslides kill 130 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: About 130 people died in floods and landslides triggered by monsoon rains in the past three weeks in Bangladesh, the government said on Thursday.
In the hill districts of Chittagong, Cox`s Bazaar and Bandarban, at least 120 people died in the last week of June, Xinhua reported.
Nine more died so far this month, said S.M. Golam Kibria, spokesman for the disaster ministry, quoting an official report.
One million families in about a dozen districts have been affected.
The incessant rains inundated many areas and disrupted communications.
Kibria, however, said the situation is unlikely to get worse as the water levels in the major rivers are falling.
Water-borne diseases like diarrhoea are spreading in the flood-hit areas, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!