Floods, landslides kill 130 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: About 130 people died in floods and landslides triggered by monsoon rains in the past three weeks in Bangladesh, the government said on Thursday.
In the hill districts of Chittagong, Cox`s Bazaar and Bandarban, at least 120 people died in the last week of June, Xinhua reported.
Nine more died so far this month, said S.M. Golam Kibria, spokesman for the disaster ministry, quoting an official report.
One million families in about a dozen districts have been affected.
The incessant rains inundated many areas and disrupted communications.
Kibria, however, said the situation is unlikely to get worse as the water levels in the major rivers are falling.
Water-borne diseases like diarrhoea are spreading in the flood-hit areas, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy