Floods, landslides kill 130 in Bangladesh
Dhaka: About 130 people died in floods and landslides triggered by monsoon rains in the past three weeks in Bangladesh, the government said on Thursday.
In the hill districts of Chittagong, Cox`s Bazaar and Bandarban, at least 120 people died in the last week of June, Xinhua reported.
Nine more died so far this month, said S.M. Golam Kibria, spokesman for the disaster ministry, quoting an official report.
One million families in about a dozen districts have been affected.
The incessant rains inundated many areas and disrupted communications.
Kibria, however, said the situation is unlikely to get worse as the water levels in the major rivers are falling.
Water-borne diseases like diarrhoea are spreading in the flood-hit areas, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says