FNJ condemns arrest of journalist in Nepal
Kathmandu: Federation of Nepalese Journalists (FNJ) has condemned the arrest of a journalist for sharing a news report about the personal life of a billionaire`s son on a popular social networking site.
"We condemn the arrest of journalist (Dinesh) Acharya on the basis of the content of the news item published in the weekly," President of FNJ Shiva Gaunle told a news agency.
"There are other ways like filing complaint at the Press Council or going to the court for seeking compensation, if the content of the news published by the newspaper is objectionable," he said.
"Arresting the journalist on the basis of the content of the news item will ultimately curtail press freedom, which condemnable," the FNJ president said.
Dinesh Acharya was arrested under Electronic Transaction Act in response to a complain registered by Nirvana Chaudhary, the son of Nepal`s first billionaire.
Nirvana had filed a complaint at Metropolitan Police Range, Hanumandhoka, and sought legal action against Acharya.
His father Binod Chaudhary owns Wai-Wai Noodle Industry as well as an international hotel chain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why