FNJ condemns arrest of journalist in Nepal
Kathmandu: Federation of Nepalese Journalists (FNJ) has condemned the arrest of a journalist for sharing a news report about the personal life of a billionaire`s son on a popular social networking site.
"We condemn the arrest of journalist (Dinesh) Acharya on the basis of the content of the news item published in the weekly," President of FNJ Shiva Gaunle told a news agency.
"There are other ways like filing complaint at the Press Council or going to the court for seeking compensation, if the content of the news published by the newspaper is objectionable," he said.
"Arresting the journalist on the basis of the content of the news item will ultimately curtail press freedom, which condemnable," the FNJ president said.
Dinesh Acharya was arrested under Electronic Transaction Act in response to a complain registered by Nirvana Chaudhary, the son of Nepal`s first billionaire.
Nirvana had filed a complaint at Metropolitan Police Range, Hanumandhoka, and sought legal action against Acharya.
His father Binod Chaudhary owns Wai-Wai Noodle Industry as well as an international hotel chain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"