Foreign troops blamed for Afghan civilian deaths
Ghazni: Afghan residents on Wednesday accused
US-led troops of killing three civilians in an overnight raid
in Afghanistan`s restive south, where the Taliban-led
insurgency is concentrated.
Dozens of tribesmen paraded the bodies of three men
through the southern town of Ghazni before gathering in a
mosque, alleging that the victims were civilians and were
killed by US soldiers.
Sayed Amir Shah, the head of intelligence in the
province, saidat least one of the men "was definitely a
civilian" and that the others also appeared to be
According to the locals the incident took place in
"We know for sure that one of the dead was definitely
civilian. From what we have found through investigations so
far, we believe that the two others were also civilians," he
The angry tribesmen shouted "death to America" and
called on the US military to apologise for "killing innocent
Shah pledged to speak to the US military on behalf of
the protesters in a effort to calm the angry mob, an AFP
NATO`s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF)
said its troops had killed "several insurgents" yesterday in
the nearby Rashidan district.
An ISAF spokesman told AFP the military was
investigating the exact location of the killings reported in
Nawar and whether it was the same as the Rashidan incident.
The spokesman insisted the men killed were insurgents
and that the coalition soldiers opened fire after they came
under attack from the rebels.
ISAF today announced the deaths of two soldiers. At
least five foreign troops have died in the war so far this
year, following a record 711 who perished in 2010, according
to independent icasualties.org.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...