Former LTTE members in Lanka contingent at Delhi SAF games
Colombo: Eight former LTTE members will be part of Sri Lankan contingent at the South Asian Federation games to be held in New Delhi next year.
Sports Ministry`s spokesman Harsha Abeykoon said eight of the rehabilitated Tamil rebels would be picked to represent the nation at the SAF games.
"It is the government`s intention to provide sporting opportunities to the LTTE members who have gone through rehabilitation," Abeykoon said.
Some 131 former LTTE members have been selected for various sporting events, Abeykoon said.
Sri Lanka has successfully rehabilitated the majority of around 11,000 members of the LTTE who had surrendered to the government at the conclusion of the military conflict three years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you