Former LTTE members in Lanka contingent at Delhi SAF games
Colombo: Eight former LTTE members will be part of Sri Lankan contingent at the South Asian Federation games to be held in New Delhi next year.
Sports Ministry`s spokesman Harsha Abeykoon said eight of the rehabilitated Tamil rebels would be picked to represent the nation at the SAF games.
"It is the government`s intention to provide sporting opportunities to the LTTE members who have gone through rehabilitation," Abeykoon said.
Some 131 former LTTE members have been selected for various sporting events, Abeykoon said.
Sri Lanka has successfully rehabilitated the majority of around 11,000 members of the LTTE who had surrendered to the government at the conclusion of the military conflict three years ago.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India