Former LTTE members in Lanka contingent at Delhi SAF games
Colombo: Eight former LTTE members will be part of Sri Lankan contingent at the South Asian Federation games to be held in New Delhi next year.
Sports Ministry`s spokesman Harsha Abeykoon said eight of the rehabilitated Tamil rebels would be picked to represent the nation at the SAF games.
"It is the government`s intention to provide sporting opportunities to the LTTE members who have gone through rehabilitation," Abeykoon said.
Some 131 former LTTE members have been selected for various sporting events, Abeykoon said.
Sri Lanka has successfully rehabilitated the majority of around 11,000 members of the LTTE who had surrendered to the government at the conclusion of the military conflict three years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach