Former LTTE members in Lanka contingent at Delhi SAF games
Colombo: Eight former LTTE members will be part of Sri Lankan contingent at the South Asian Federation games to be held in New Delhi next year.
Sports Ministry`s spokesman Harsha Abeykoon said eight of the rehabilitated Tamil rebels would be picked to represent the nation at the SAF games.
"It is the government`s intention to provide sporting opportunities to the LTTE members who have gone through rehabilitation," Abeykoon said.
Some 131 former LTTE members have been selected for various sporting events, Abeykoon said.
Sri Lanka has successfully rehabilitated the majority of around 11,000 members of the LTTE who had surrendered to the government at the conclusion of the military conflict three years ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!