Former Pakistan CJ slaps Rs 20 billion defamation suit on Imran Khan
Islamabad: Pakistan`s former chief justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry on Thursday served a Rs 20 billion defamation notice to cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.
Khan, chief of the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf party (PTI), had said that Chaudhry as chief justice of Pakistan failed to stop rigging in the general election of 2013 and thus indirectly helped his rivals to win the polls.
The notice was issued against Khan by the lawyers of Chaudhry for maligning the top judiciary of the country and bringing the former judge to disrepute.
"I claim from you in damages a token sum of Rs 15 billion only and another Rs 5 billion only as damages for mental agonies, torture, harassment, humiliation, etc, caused to me as well as my family," said the former top judge in the notice.
Chaudhry however said that the notice will be withdrawn if Khan tendered an unconditional apology within two weeks.
The legal proceedings against the PTI supremo will commence if he failed to prove the allegations.
Khan`s party so far has not commented on the development.
The battle between Khan and the former chief justice has been going on for some time due to his harsh criticism of the judiciary.
Chaudhry`s son, Arsalan Iftikhar, is also active against Khan and has announced to challenge his election alleging that Khan did not fulfil the criterion to be a Member of Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez