Former Pakistan premier Gilani to face probe on graft charge
Islamabad: Pakistan`s anti-corruption watchdog on Monday decided to investigate former premier Yousuf Raza Gilani for alleged involvement in the notorious National Insurance Limited Company (NICL) scam.
The scandal surfaced in 2010 when the Supreme Court took suo moto action on reports about the alleged embezzlement of over Rs 5 billion from the funds of the company by its chairman Ayaz Niazi and several directors.
It is believed that Gilani had links with Niazi.
A meeting of the National Accountability Bureau chaired today by its acting head, Saeed Ahmad, decided to launch a probe against Gilani, Geo News reported.
Gilani was premier during 2008-12 and his Pakistan People?s Party-led government faced several corruption charges. His two sons were probed in at least two graft cases.
He was sacked last year after he refused to act on the Supreme Court`s orders to approach Swiss authorities to reopen graft cases against then President Asif Ali Zardari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt