Former PMs Gilani, Ashraf appear in Pakistani court
Islamabad: Former Pakistani premiers Yousuf Raza Gilani and Raja Pervaz Ashraf today appeared in a court here in connection with graft cases filed against them.
The National Accountability Bureau, the country`s anti-corruption watchdog, has charged the Pakistan People`s Party (PPP) leaders in a case related to the alleged illegal appointment of the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority (OGRA)`s chairman during Gilani`s tenure.
Gilani and Ashraf arrived at the court with a large number of supporters from the PPP.
Talking to the media, Gilani said the PPP has always respected the judiciary and will continue to do so. He was showered with rose petals by his supporters.
Gilani`s counsel asked the court to exempt his client from appearing in person for the hearings. The court approved the requested and adjourned the case till March 5.
On January 24, NAB had filed a case over the appointment of Tauqeer Sadiq as OGRA chief against the two former premiers.
The bureau also filed a supplementary case in a case related to alleged corruption worth Rs 82 billion in OGRA.
Both the premiers were provided with a copy of the cases filed against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price