Former premier Pervez Ashraf barred from leaving Pakistan
Islamabad: A day after his resounding defeat in Pakistan`s general election, former premier Raja Pervez Ashraf was on Monday barred from leaving the country over allegations of corruption in setting up power projects.
The Federal Investigation Agency directed authorities in airports to prevent Ashraf and several others accused of wrongdoing in the rental power projects scam from leaving Pakistan.
Earlier, the National Accountability Bureau Pakistan`s main anti-corruption agency had decided to file a case over the rental power projects after the May 11 polls.
In March, the Supreme Court had issued a contempt of court notice to Ashraf for trying to influence the court by writing a letter to Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry seeking the setting up of a commission to investigate the scam.
The rental power projects were mooted by the outgoing Pakistan People’s Party-led government as a solution to the country`s crippling energy crisis.
The apex court had earlier ordered the arrest of Ashraf and other accused in the case but the NAB had said it had no evidence against the suspects to make arrests.
The charges against Ashraf date back to his tenure as Power Minister.
The alleged corruption in the setting of the projects led to Ashraf being nicknamed "Raja Rental".
Ashraf suffered a humiliating defeat in the general election in a parliamentary constituency in his hometown of Gujjar Khan near Rawalpindi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble