Former SAARC secy-gen appointed Maldives minister
Male: Former Secretary-General of SAARC Fathmath Dhiyana Saeed was on Monday sworn-in as Maldives` new minister of gender, family and human rights.
Saeed, had quit as the first woman secretary-general of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) in January amid controversy over her statements on the domestic politics of the Maldives.
She had resigned after the Maldives government expressed outrage over her remarks against the arrest of the country`s Criminal Court Chief Judge Abdulla Mohamed.
Under the new arrangement, Ministry of health and family has been dissolved and two new ministries have been formed in its place - ministry of health and ministry of gender, family and human rights.
Ex-minister of health and family Ahmed Jamsheed Mohamed has been made the the minister of health.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'