Former Sri Lankan Tamil Tiger rebels ‘disappear’
Colombo: Three Sri Lankan Tamil Tiger rebels, who took part in a government-organised rehabilitation ceremony last year, have disappeared.
According to a rights campaigner, the men have apparently been taken away by the government authorities.
It has emerged that parents saw photos of their children at the ceremony attended by President Mahinda Rajapaksa, but now know nothing of their fate.
Human rights campaigner and former MP Mano Ganesan said that when they saw the photograph they made inquiries with police, the government and the Army, but got only "negative responses".
The BBC quoted Ganesan as saying that there may have been similar disappearances after earlier ceremonies.
According to the report, the government did not even tell their families that the men were in the camps or attending the event.
The parents only learned their sons were present when they saw them in a newspaper photograph.
Meanwhile, Ganesan has said that he is "looking into" these cases and asked concerned parents to visit him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?