Four assassins of ex Lanka FM killed during war: Lankan Court

Four suspected assassins of former Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar, who was shot dead in 2005, have died during the last phase of the war against LTTE, a court was told.

Colombo: Four suspected assassins of former
Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar, who was shot
dead in 2005, have died during the last phase of the war
against LTTE, a court was told.

Four hardcore LTTE suspects involved in the assassination
of Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar, have been killed
during Eelam war IV that ended in May last year.

This was stated during the hearing of the case at the
Colombo High Court before Judge Kumudini Wickramasinghe
yesterday.

The Former Foreign Minister, 73, was shot dead by an LTTE
sniper on the night of 12th August 2005, from the bathroom of
the adjoining house, as he came out of the swimming pool at
his residence.

Emergency regulations in Sri Lanka were re-imposed after
the assassination of Kadirgamar and are still in operation.

Under cross-examination by Deputy Solicitor General
Kapila Waidyaratne, SSP Ajith Wickramasekera said that a
sniper had used a tripod to mount the gun used in the killing
and six empty shells were found at the scene.

Wickramasekara said he had rushed to the residence of
Kadirgamar in Colombo after the incident and examined the
scene, the Island Newspaper reported yesterday.

He said the tripod had been placed near the toilet seat
from where the sniper shot the former minister.

When one looked out of the window of the bathroom, the
swimming pool, the summer hut and the backyard of the former
Minister`s residence could be clearly seen, the newspaper
quoted the witness as saying.

The other two accused -- Muttaiah Sahadevan and Isidor
Arokyanathan alias Babu -- have been charged with conspiracy
to commit murder.

Former LTTE chief Velupillai Prabhakaran, intelligence
head Pottu Amman, Charles Master alias Charles and Komathi
Manimekala were also accused in this case but their names have
been deleted from the chargesheet since they are dead.

Deputy Solicitor General Kapila Waidyaratne and Senior
State Counsel Shanil Kularatne appeared for the prosecution,
the Island Newspaper said.

Attorneys A Vinayagamoorthy and Thavarasa appeared for
the first and second accused, the newspaper said, adding the
case will be taken up on May 17.

PTI

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close