Four killed in Aghan attack, would-be suicide bomber arrested
Kabul: Four people have been killed and a Taliban-linked would-be suicide bomber child arrested in the southern Helmand province, the militants` former stronghold, over the past two days, officials said on Monday.
In the first incident which occurred Saturday afternoon, a rocket fired by Taliban militants struck a civilian car in Gereshk district claiming the lives of four civilians, Xinhua quoted spokesperson for provincial government Omar Zawak as saying.
"The ill-fated civilians including two men and two women were on their way from Gereshk to Sangin district Saturday afternoon when a rocket fired by Taliban rebels struck their car martyring all the four on the spot," Zawak said.
He added that efforts are underway to locate and bring to justice those behind the heinous crime.
In the second incident which took place Sunday in Helmand province, police captured a would-be suicide bomber child and foiled Taliban`s attempt to conduct a suicide attack, said Hamidullah Sediqi, a police officer.
"The 10-years old Spoghmai who was attempting to carry out suicide attack against police disguising herself to fetch up water from a stream at nearby police checkpoint Sunday evening was fortunately identified and captured," Sediqi said.
He also confirmed that Spoghmai`s brother Zahir is Taliban local commander and has been fighting against government in the province.
The interior minister has also confirmed the arrest of the suicide bomber in the southern Helmand province.
"A 10-year child named Spoghmai, who was attempting to carry out suicide attack against police force in Khanshin district of Helmand province Sunday evening, was identified and arrested," a statement of interior ministry said Monday.
During investigation, the girl revealed that her brother named Zahir who is a Taliban fighter had encouraged her to conduct suicide attack, the statement said.
Notorious for growing poppy and militancy, Helmand has been regarded as Taliban hotbed in the conflict-hit Afghanistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi