Four killed in Bangladesh clashes over `atheist bloggers`
Dhaka: At least four people were killed and over 200 injured in Bangladesh on Friday as hundreds of Islamists clashed with police here and other major cities demanding execution of "atheist bloggers" they accused of blasphemy.
Police fired rubber bullets and tear gas canisters to disperse Islamists backed by Jamaat-e-Islami (JI) party whose leaders are facing trial in special tribunals for "crimes against humanity" during the 1971 liberation war against Pakistan.
While two deaths were reported from western Jhinaidah and northeaster Sylhet, two others died in northwestern Gaibandha.
Parts of the capital Dhaka and southeastern port city of Chittagong turned into battlefields as protesters attacked police, damaged or torched shops and vehicles.
In Dhaka, the violence broke out outside the Baitul Mukarram national mosque, where the protesters also attacked around a dozen journalists.
Several worshippers were trapped inside the mosque as police tried to thwart the protest by locking the gates.
Doctors at Dhaka`s main state-run Medical College Hospital said they were treating several people with critical wounds caused by rubber bullets.
Newly formed "12 Like Minded Islamic Parties", backed by JI, took to the street after Friday prayers in the capital and other cities and attacked journalists.
At least 20 reporters covering the violence were injured, journalist union said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof