Four killed in violence in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Four persons, including two children, were killed and several others injured in two separate incidents of violence in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Friday, officials said.
A tribesman was killed and 14 more were injured when militants fired four rockets at an election rally in Wana, the main town in South Waziristan tribal region, officials of the local political administration said.
Two of the rockets landed near the venue of an election rally organised by independent candidate Naseerullah Wazir.
A large number of tribesmen had gathered for the event. The injured were taken to a nearby hospital, officials said.
In a separate incident, a woman and two children were killed when a bomb exploded in an agricultural field in mountainous Buner district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province this afternoon, police said.
No group claimed responsibility for both attacks.
Militant groups have a strong presence in the Wana region of South Waziristan Agency.
Pakistani politicians and political parties have increasingly been targeted in deadly attacks ahead of the May 11 general election.
Seventeen people, including workers of the secular Awami National Party, were killed in a suicide attack on an election rally in Peshawar on Tuesday.
Interim Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso last week directed authorities to beef up security for all candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh