Four killed in violence in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Four persons, including two children, were killed and several others injured in two separate incidents of violence in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Friday, officials said.
A tribesman was killed and 14 more were injured when militants fired four rockets at an election rally in Wana, the main town in South Waziristan tribal region, officials of the local political administration said.
Two of the rockets landed near the venue of an election rally organised by independent candidate Naseerullah Wazir.
A large number of tribesmen had gathered for the event. The injured were taken to a nearby hospital, officials said.
In a separate incident, a woman and two children were killed when a bomb exploded in an agricultural field in mountainous Buner district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province this afternoon, police said.
No group claimed responsibility for both attacks.
Militant groups have a strong presence in the Wana region of South Waziristan Agency.
Pakistani politicians and political parties have increasingly been targeted in deadly attacks ahead of the May 11 general election.
Seventeen people, including workers of the secular Awami National Party, were killed in a suicide attack on an election rally in Peshawar on Tuesday.
Interim Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso last week directed authorities to beef up security for all candidates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'