Four killed in violence in northwest Pakistan
Islamabad: Four persons, including two children, were killed and several others injured in two separate incidents of violence in Pakistan`s restive northwest on Friday, officials said.
A tribesman was killed and 14 more were injured when militants fired four rockets at an election rally in Wana, the main town in South Waziristan tribal region, officials of the local political administration said.
Two of the rockets landed near the venue of an election rally organised by independent candidate Naseerullah Wazir.
A large number of tribesmen had gathered for the event. The injured were taken to a nearby hospital, officials said.
In a separate incident, a woman and two children were killed when a bomb exploded in an agricultural field in mountainous Buner district of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province this afternoon, police said.
No group claimed responsibility for both attacks.
Militant groups have a strong presence in the Wana region of South Waziristan Agency.
Pakistani politicians and political parties have increasingly been targeted in deadly attacks ahead of the May 11 general election.
Seventeen people, including workers of the secular Awami National Party, were killed in a suicide attack on an election rally in Peshawar on Tuesday.
Interim Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso last week directed authorities to beef up security for all candidates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security