Four Pakistanis slain in Iran Guard attack: Report
Tehran: Four Pakistani citizens were among those slain in the attack on Iran`s elite Revolutionary Guards in Sistan-Baluchistan province, Fars news agency reported on Friday.
On Sunday, a suicide bomber blew himself up in Pisheen town during a meeting of Guards and local tribesmen, slaughtering more than 40 people, including 15 members of the Guards.
The bomber struck in front of a local gymnasium where a handicraft exhibition was taking place in Pisheen, near the Pakistani border in the south-eastern province.
"Four Pakistani citizens, who were near the handicraft exhibition, also died in the incident," Jalal Sayyah, Deputy Governor of Sistan-Baluchistan told Fars.
He said investigations revealed that the bomber wanted to go to the meeting, "but fearing he would be searched... he blew himself up inside the exhibition."
The bomber had crossed into Iran from Pakistan a day before the attack Sayyah said.
"He was trained four months ago in one of (Abdolmalek) Rigi`s bases in Pakistan," he added, referring to the leader of the rebel Jundallah (Soldiers of God) group which claimed the bombing.
The militant group says it is battling Tehran`s Shi’ite rule to fight for the rights of the province`s Baluchi people, who adhere to Sunni Islam.
Iranian Interior Minister Mostafa Mohammad Najjar was in Pakistan today to discuss ways of cracking down on Jundallah.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Do you know what is the FIRST thing Salman Khan asks when he meets someone? Click here
- Salem woman's suicide case: Tamil Nadu Police arrests man for uploading morphed pictures of victim on Facebook
- ISIS terror module busted in Hyderabad; religious places were main targets, claims NIA
- Fed up of shifting matches, BCCI plans to build own stadium in Delhi: Report
- Modish beauty! Anushka Sharma goes black for 'Sultan' promotions