Four suicide attacks hit Kandahar, 30 dead
Kandahar (Afghanistan): Four suicide bombers struck different parts of the southern city of Kandahar on Saturday. The Afghan president`s half-brother said at least 30 people were killed and dozens more injured.
Ahmed Wali Karzai, a member of the Kandahar provincial council, said a main target of the nighttime attacks was a prison, but no prisoners escaped. In June 2008 a suicide bomber blew apart the Kandahar prison gates and a nearby checkpost freeing hundreds of prisoners — many of them suspected insurgents.
Karzai, the half-brother of President Hamid Karzai, said a second explosion occurred close to the police headquarters, and that casualties were reported at a wedding hall near the headquarters. He said two other explosions occurred near his home, which was not damaged.
Police officer Mohammad Nahim said at least four policemen are among those killed.
Kandahar has a population of about 800,000. It is the south`s main commercial center and the major city in Kandahar province, the birthplace of the Taliban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand