Four suicide attacks hit Kandahar, 30 dead
Kandahar (Afghanistan): Four suicide bombers struck different parts of the southern city of Kandahar on Saturday. The Afghan president`s half-brother said at least 30 people were killed and dozens more injured.
Ahmed Wali Karzai, a member of the Kandahar provincial council, said a main target of the nighttime attacks was a prison, but no prisoners escaped. In June 2008 a suicide bomber blew apart the Kandahar prison gates and a nearby checkpost freeing hundreds of prisoners — many of them suspected insurgents.
Karzai, the half-brother of President Hamid Karzai, said a second explosion occurred close to the police headquarters, and that casualties were reported at a wedding hall near the headquarters. He said two other explosions occurred near his home, which was not damaged.
Police officer Mohammad Nahim said at least four policemen are among those killed.
Kandahar has a population of about 800,000. It is the south`s main commercial center and the major city in Kandahar province, the birthplace of the Taliban.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet