Four Taliban militants arrested in Karachi
Karachi: Pakistani security agencies on Thursday arrested four active members of the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban who were planning to carry out bomb attacks in the election campaigning in the city ahead of the General Elections on May 11.
SSP Chaudhary Aslam told reporters that they conducted a raid near Ghani chowk area in the city in which the four militants were arrested.
"They belong to a particular group of the Taliban which specialises in bomb making. One of the arrested militant, Asim has said they were planning to carry out a bomb attack against former President Pervez Musharraf who is in Islamabad," he said.
Chaudhary said a large number of ammunition and at least 50-kg of explosives and four hand grenades had been recovered from the militants.
"All the four have received training in the tribal areas and came to Karachi to carry out terrorist activities in the city," he said.
In another operation, the police arrested four notorious target killers from the port city.
Pakistan has witnessed a spike in violence ahead of the May 11 general election, which will mark the country`s first democratic transition of power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical