Four Taliban militants arrested in Karachi
Karachi: Pakistani security agencies on Thursday arrested four active members of the banned Tehreek-e-Taliban who were planning to carry out bomb attacks in the election campaigning in the city ahead of the General Elections on May 11.
SSP Chaudhary Aslam told reporters that they conducted a raid near Ghani chowk area in the city in which the four militants were arrested.
"They belong to a particular group of the Taliban which specialises in bomb making. One of the arrested militant, Asim has said they were planning to carry out a bomb attack against former President Pervez Musharraf who is in Islamabad," he said.
Chaudhary said a large number of ammunition and at least 50-kg of explosives and four hand grenades had been recovered from the militants.
"All the four have received training in the tribal areas and came to Karachi to carry out terrorist activities in the city," he said.
In another operation, the police arrested four notorious target killers from the port city.
Pakistan has witnessed a spike in violence ahead of the May 11 general election, which will mark the country`s first democratic transition of power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Guess who? Angered by film failure, this actor breaks hotel furniture
- Determined Sonakshi Sinha's first 'Akira' poster looks intriguing! – Pic inside
- Turkey allows more patrol flights on Syria border by NATO allies: Official
- Video: How Wales's players celebrated rivals England's exit from the Euro 2016. Crazy!
- Anna Hazare unveils poster of his biopic