French energy firm EDF wins £16-bn deal to build two UK nuclear reactors
Paris: French energy giant EDF today said it had won a deal worth 16 billion pounds to build two nuclear reactors in Britain.
"This deal means 16 billion pounds of investment coming into the country and the creation of 25,000 jobs," said British Prime Minister David Cameron in a joint EDF-British government press release.
Two Chinese nuclear firms, CGNPC and CNNC, are expected to take a 30-40 per cent stake between them, the statement added.
French energy firm Areva will provide the two EPRs or European Pressurized Reactors, taking a 10-percent stake in the project.
If the deal is confirmed next year, the power station, in south-west England, will be up and running by 2023, the statement said.
"Today we have a deal for the first nuclear power station in a generation to be built in Britain," added Cameron.
"This also marks the next generation of nuclear power in Britain, which has an important part to play in contributing to our future energy needs and our longer term security of supply."
The accord also agrees a guaranteed price for the energy produced by the two reactors, which had been a major sticking point in the negotiations between the firm and the government in London.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive