French soldier killed, 9 wounded in Afghanistan attack
Kabul: One French soldier was killed and nine were wounded by an improvised explosive device during an operation in Afghanistan`s Kapisa province on Wednesday, the French presidency said.
A corporal with the 2nd Marine Infantry Regiment was killed in the attack and nine fellow marines were injured, the French presidency said in a statement, expressing "France`s determination to continue to work with the International Security Assistance Force" in Afghanistan.
The corporal was the 55th French soldier killed during operations in Afghanistan.
"This afternoon the President (Nicolas Sarkozy) learned with much sadness of the death of a corporal in the 2nd Marine Infantry Regiment in Afghanistan," the statement said.
"During an operation in Kapisa, his armoured vehicle was struck by an explosion from an explosive device. ... Nine other marines were also wounded in the attack," it said.
About 4,000 French soldiers are deployed under NATO command with ISAF forces in Afghanistan in the conflict against Taliban insurgents.
Sarkozy also reaffirmed "his support for the Afghan people and for the Afghan authorities" and expressed France`s determination to remain a part of ISAF.
"This force, mandated by the UN, was given the mission to contribute to the return of stability, the re-establishment of peace and to the development of Afghanistan," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read