French soldier killed, four injured in Afghan blast
Paris: A French soldier was killed and four others were injured in an "accidental explosion" in eastern Afghanistan, French Defence Minister Gerard Longuet said on Thursday.
The blast occurred in the south of Kapisa province, Longuet said in a statement.
The victim was the 58th French soldier to die since Paris deployed troops to join the NATO international force in Afghanistan in 2001.
Injuries to the four other soldiers were not life-threatening, the statement added.
The statement said that on Wednesday "an accidental explosion of a munition mortally wounded one soldier and injured four others of the same regiment who were getting ready to board an armoured vehicle in the south of Kapisa."
The injured were treated in a military hospital in Kabul, it added.
Around 4,000 French soldiers are deployed to Afghanistan mainly in the district of Surobi and Kapisa province in the east of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!