French soldier killed, four injured in Afghan blast
Paris: A French soldier was killed and four others were injured in an "accidental explosion" in eastern Afghanistan, French Defence Minister Gerard Longuet said on Thursday.
The blast occurred in the south of Kapisa province, Longuet said in a statement.
The victim was the 58th French soldier to die since Paris deployed troops to join the NATO international force in Afghanistan in 2001.
Injuries to the four other soldiers were not life-threatening, the statement added.
The statement said that on Wednesday "an accidental explosion of a munition mortally wounded one soldier and injured four others of the same regiment who were getting ready to board an armoured vehicle in the south of Kapisa."
The injured were treated in a military hospital in Kabul, it added.
Around 4,000 French soldiers are deployed to Afghanistan mainly in the district of Surobi and Kapisa province in the east of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof