Gandhi was wrong, says London mayor?
London: Boris Johnson, the maverick mayor of
London, on Tuesday said Mahatma Gandhi was wrong in stating in 1948
that India`s future lay in its villages as the Conservative
party politician felt the country`s future actually was in its
Speaking at the Conservative party conference in
Manchester, Johnson said `massive urbanisation` was taking
place in India, as anyone who recently visited India had seen.
Johnson, whose wife`s mother is of Indian origin, drew on
Gandhi to set out the work he was overseeing as the mayor of
London, from City Hall, the home of the Greater London
"There is one overarching philosophy behind everything we
do in City Hall that can be traced to a saying of Mahatma
Gandhi, who prophesied in 1948 that the future of India lay in
its 700,000 villages," he said.
"As anyone who has been to India can testify, Gandhi was
wrong. It is unromantic but true that the future of the world
lies in cities but he was right in this deeper sense that
people yearn for the memory of the village," said Johnson, a
former journalist who continues to write columns.
He said the "Eden from which we were all expelled and so
everything we do is about putting the village back into the
city. We are on target to build a record 50,000 affordable
homes over four years and we will do even more over the next
Johnson went on to detail several measures he was taking
as the London mayor, often drawing applause for his unique
perspective on issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read