Gang rape of young woman shakes Karachi, Gov orders probe
Karachi: A young woman was pulled out of her car and raped by four to five men in an upmarket area of Karachi, in an incident that has shaken the city and prompted the Governor of Sindh province to order a top-level inquiry.
The Governor Ishrat-ul-Ibad ordered the Citizens
Liason Police Cell to carry out an independent inquiry side by
side with the police investigations after the rape was
reported by Geo News and became a haunting news through the
The incident occurred late in the night on Sunday in
the upmarket area of Clifton and the girl was held by the
assailants for six hours before they left her near the Seaview
The episode also brought back haunting memories of a
notorious rapist who used to prowl in the same area and was
arrested last year, though mystery surrounds his whereabouts
and fate now.
The victim, who is recovering at the civil hospital,
has stated in her report that she was returning from a
friend`s birthday party late at night with another female
companion when a white Toyota Corolla crashed into her car.
She was then pulled out of the car and gang raped.
The victim has also provided the police with the
license number of the Corolla.
Clifton Superintendent Police (SP) Tariq Dharejo has
said the license number will help them get a significant lead
into the case, adding that the police was pursuing the case.
The victim`s statement was recorded yesterday morning
and the medical report has been completed. The police,
however, is not making the report public until further details
of the case emerge.
Incidentally, a notorious rapist, Ali Muhammad
Hajiano, who was arrested last year after being involved in
number of cases used to adopt the same modus operandi to snare
The son of an influential person, mystery surrounds
the fate of Hajiano with some media reports stating that he
had escaped to Dubai.
His father had reportedly said on a television channel
that no one would be able to keep his son locked up for long.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport