Gayoom`s son sworn in as Minister in cabinet
Male: Maldives President Mohammed Waheed on Wednesday
inducted seven new Ministers of State into his cabinet
including Ghassan Maumoon, the youngest son of former dictator
The appointment of Ghassan has led to fresh speculation
about the role of Gayoom in the current regime with his
imprints now finding place in all important ministries of the
current regime that came into power after then President
Mohammed Nasheed resigned on February 7.
Nasheed`s party - Maldivian Democratic Party - has accused
Gayoom of being the mastermind behind the "coup".
On Monday, Waheed had picked up two more Gayoom-era
officials to fill up the crucial cabinet berths of Foreign
Affairs and Finance.
With the new appointments, former loyalists of the Gayoom
regime, that ruled Maldives for 30 years, now dominate
Waheed`s cabinet that also has the former dictator`s daughter,
Dhunya Maumoon as a State Minister for Foreign Affairs.
Ghassan has been appointed as Minister of State for Human
Gayoom, who came to the country from Malaysia on Monday
night, has denied any role in the regime change.
Interestingly, President Waheed paid a courtesy call to
Gayoom at his residence last night.
This is the first meeting between both after the
resignation of President Nasheed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH