Gen Gurung takes over as Nepal Army Chief
Kathmandu: Nepal`s new Army Chief Gen Chhatra
Man Singh Gurung, who received training at the prestigious
Indian Military Academy in Dehradun, assumed office Wednesday,
becoming the first person from this country`s indigenous
tribes to ascend to the top post.
57-year-old Gurung took over as the chief of the
95,000-strong Nepal Army from his controversial predecessor
Gen Rukmangad Katwal, whose three-year tenure has expired now.
Gen Katawal had hit headlines after the previous Maoist
government decided to sack him in May, but the move blocked by
President Ram Baran Yadav, forcing then premier Prachanda to
President Yadav administered the oath of office to Gurung
at a special function at the presidential palace `Sheetal
Niwas`, according to Nepal Army Headquarters sources.
For the first time, the post of the Army Chief has gone
to a member of Nepal`s indigenous tribes. So far it was held
by the elite classes like Ranas, Thapas, Shahs and Chhetris.
Gurung, who has received training at the Indian Military
Academy, also became the first Army Chief to receive the
insignia from the President in the Republic Nepal.
His predecessor Gen Katawal had received the insignia of
Army Chief from the then prime minister Girija Prasad Koirala
when the country still had Monarchy.
The Cabinet meeting of August 22 had decided to recommend
to President Yadav to promote Gurung to the post of Army Chief
effective from September 9 when Katwal`s term expired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research