Gen Petraeus hands over command in Afghanistan
Kabul: Gen David Petraeus on Monday handed
over command of American and coalition forces in Afghanistan
to Gen John Allen, transferring responsibility for the nearly
10-year war as Kabul`s international allies draw up exit plans
from the conflict.
Petraeus steps down after a mixed one-year stint in
charge of the more than 140,000 international troops in the
country. He was the architect of the counterinsurgency
strategy that aimed to bring peace through an emphasis on
decisive strikes against known insurgents and protecting the
But as he leaves, it is unclear if either strategy has
made Afghanistan safer. Violent attacks have continued, though
international military officials argue they are not as
widespread or as intense as they would have been otherwise.
Allen, who officially took command at a ceremony in
Kabul today morning, said the drawdown of US forces that
started earlier this month and the transition of some areas to
Afghan control this week does not mean that international
forces are easing up in their campaign to defeat the Taliban
"It is my intention to maintain the momentum of the
campaign," Allen said at the handover ceremony in the Afghan
capital. He said however, that he does not expect the fight to
"There will be tough days ahead. I have no illusions
about the challenges ahead," said Allen, who was promoted to a
four-star general shortly before the handover ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow