Gen Petraeus hands over command in Afghanistan
Kabul: Gen David Petraeus on Monday handed
over command of American and coalition forces in Afghanistan
to Gen John Allen, transferring responsibility for the nearly
10-year war as Kabul`s international allies draw up exit plans
from the conflict.
Petraeus steps down after a mixed one-year stint in
charge of the more than 140,000 international troops in the
country. He was the architect of the counterinsurgency
strategy that aimed to bring peace through an emphasis on
decisive strikes against known insurgents and protecting the
But as he leaves, it is unclear if either strategy has
made Afghanistan safer. Violent attacks have continued, though
international military officials argue they are not as
widespread or as intense as they would have been otherwise.
Allen, who officially took command at a ceremony in
Kabul today morning, said the drawdown of US forces that
started earlier this month and the transition of some areas to
Afghan control this week does not mean that international
forces are easing up in their campaign to defeat the Taliban
"It is my intention to maintain the momentum of the
campaign," Allen said at the handover ceremony in the Afghan
capital. He said however, that he does not expect the fight to
"There will be tough days ahead. I have no illusions
about the challenges ahead," said Allen, who was promoted to a
four-star general shortly before the handover ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley